Leaderboard ad

Passionfruit ads

Friday 20 August 2010

SEPTEMBER ISSUES - magazine nirvana











If I had my way, I'd fill my house with every September issue I could get my hands on. I do alright buying up many of them, but this will go a little way in satisfying my magazine appetite... hope it does for you, too.

In the coming weeks I'll be posting as many September issue covers worldwide as I can un-cover.

The September issue is traditionally the biggest, most jam-packed edition in the calendar year of most publications. It heralds the start of a new season and a slew of new fashion predictions.

A film documenting the importance of the September issue - called, well, The September Issue - was released last year. It detailed the painstaking process of getting one of these babies to bed and on the news-stands. The US Vogue September issue - on which this feature-length documentary is based - gave an insider's view of the production of the record-breaking September 2007 issue of US Vogue.

Its tagline is "Fashion is a religion. This is the bible" and it was shot over eight months, and shows editor-in-chief Anna Wintour in trying situations with her creative director Grace Coddington. The issue became the largest ever published; almost 2.5kg in weight and 840 pages, it was a world record for a monthly magazine.

Some of Wintour's quotes in the film are priceless:

"I think what I often see it that people are frightened about fashion. Because it scares them or make them feel insecure, they just put it down. On the whole people that may say the mean-ny things about our world... I think that's usually because they feel, in some ways, excluded or, you know, not a part of 'the cool group'. So as a result, they just mock it."

And this one: "Just because you like to put on a beautiful Carolina Herrera dress or a pair of J Brand blue jeans instead of something basic from K-Mart it doesn't mean that you're a dumb person."

Amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment